chickpeas braised in olive oil, feta, smoky paprika and capers. this is my kind of comfort food, and perfect for a low-fuss and quick weeknight dinner. served with poached eggs and some thick slices of bread, i have a feeling i'll have this recipe on steady rotation as it gets colder. the inspiration for this dinner came from joy the baker.
braised chickpeas with kale, capers and feta
adapted from joy the baker's "olive oil braised chickpeas with feta"
what you'll need:
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup yellow onion, finely diced
1 15 oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1/4 cup capers, drained
3/4 cup crumbled feta
3 cups kale, rinsed and torn to bite sized pieces
sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
fresh thyme and rosemary, to taste
smoky paprika, for serving
4 eggs, poached
2 cups water
2 tbps apple cider vinegar
big ol' bowl of crusty bread, for serving
what you'll do:
- preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- grab a small frying pan. drizzle a bit of evoo (about 2 tbps) into it. allow oil to slowly heat up, then toss in onion. let the onion fry slightly (about 6-7 min on high heat), then remove from heat.
- while your onion is frying up, toss your kale into the bottom of a glass oven dish. pour in the rinsed chickpeas, capers, remainder of oil and sauteed onions. finish off with as many dashes of salt n' pepper, thyme and rosemary as you please.
- cover baking dish with aluminum foil and slide in the oven to bake for about 30-40 minutes. peek in every so often to see how it's doing, and remove once its bubbling and chickpeas are done to texture you like. set aside.
- remove from oven, and sprinkle crumbled feta on top. place back in oven for about 10 more minutes, until feta is bubbling. remove from heat and set aside.
now it's egg poachin' time
- boil about two cups of water with apple cider vinegar. once boiling, reduce to simmer.
- crack one egg into smaller bowl, then gently pour cracked egg into simmering water. do this gently to make sure the yolk stays together while poaching. repeat 3x for remainder of eggs.
- allow eggs to sit in simmering water for about 4 minutes so that they are poached.
- once complete, remove one-by-one from water gently with slotted spoon and place on top of kale, chickpea, caper deliciousness.
- on top of kale, chickpea, caper, feta, egg, etc. etc. goodness, sprinkle on salt, pepper and smoked paprika.
- serve with toasted bread to soak in all the flavor!